For the past five years, Americans have experienced a “perfect storm” of slow economic growth, wage and benefit losses, a sluggish housing market, and high unemployment rates. Tough economic times can result in individuals and families living on the financial edge. Topics covered in this 90-minute webinar include a description of the “financial edge” and how people get there by being pushed or pulled; the concept of living “paycheck to paycheck;” low U.S. savings rates; strategies to deal with unemployment; public health insurance; food assistance; energy assistance; telephone assistance; wage garnishment, foreclosure, credit counseling; individual development accounts (IDAs); disaster assistance; and frauds and scams.
Join the Military Families Learning Network as Dr. Barbara O'Neill presents this 90 minute webinar.
1.5 CEUs will be available to AFC-credentialed participants. To obtain CEUs, you must complete an Individual Participation Verification Form through AFCPE: https://www.afcpe.org/secure/ceu_participation_verification.html
• To connect to this webinar, which is hosted by DoD, you must install security certificates if you are not on a military installation. Instructions for can be found: http://blogs.extension.org/militaryfamilies/files/2012/06/DoCCertificate.pdf
• View the presentation slides here: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/LivingonFinancialEdge.pdf
• No registration is required.
• Selected research articles and online resources have been identified to enhance this web conference for participants. These readings are located: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/FinancialEdgeBackgrounder.pdf
• Join us on Twitter during the event to share even more resources. Use #MFLNPF
• Review a list of resources shared in this presentation here: http://www.slideshare.net/BarbaraONeill/online-resources-for-financial-education-financial-distress0113
* If you were unable to join the live session of this web conference and have viewed this archived session, you may be eligible to receive 1.5 AFCPE CEUs (if AFC credentialed) by taking a short quiz about this sessions content. To do so, please review these instructions: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/campusextensioninstructions.pdf
Created by Molly Herndon