For the past five years, Americans have experienced a “perfect storm” of slow economic growth, wage and benefit losses, a sluggish housing market, and high unemployment rates. Tough economic times can result in individuals and families living on the financial edge. Topics covered in this 90-minute webinar include a description of the “financial edge” and how people get there by being pushed or pulled; the concept of living “paycheck to paycheck;” low U.S. savings rates; strategies to deal with unemployment; public health insurance; food assistance; energy assistance; telephone assistance; wage garnishment, foreclosure, credit counseling; individual development accounts (IDAs); disaster assistance; and frauds and scams.
Join the Military Families Learning Network as Dr. Barbara O'Neill presents this 90 minute webinar.
• To connect to this webinar, which is hosted by DoD, you must install security certificates if you are not on a military installation. Instructions for can be found: http://blogs.extension.org/militaryfamilies/files/2012/06/DoCCertificate.pdf
• View the presentation slides here: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/LivingonFinancialEdge.pdf
• No registration is required.
• Selected research articles and online resources have been identified to enhance this web conference for participants. These readings are located: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/FinancialEdgeBackgrounder.pdf
• Join us on Twitter during the event to share even more resources. Use #MFLNPF
• Review a list of resources shared in this presentation here: http://www.slideshare.net/BarbaraONeill/online-resources-for-financial-education-financial-distress0113
Created by Molly Herndon