North Central extension specialists presented this event on Friday August 2, 2013 11:30AM-1:00 PM CENTRAL TIME. It was a 90-minute webinar on plant selection and integrated pest management of winter and summer squash, cucumbers and pumpkins. Dr. Rhoda Burrows, Extension Horticulturist, South Dakota State University discussed planting and management; Celeste Welty, Extension Entomologist, The Ohio State University, covered cucumber beetles, squash vine borer, and squash bugs; Michelle Grabowski, Extension Plant Pathologist, University of Minnesota will discussed powdery mildew, downy mildew, leaf spot and fruit rot diseases; and Dr. Mary Meyer, Extension Horticulturist, University of Minnesota was the host and moderator. Three 20 minute presentations were followed by 10 minutes of questions and discussion offered through umconnect.umn.edu.
For information on technology: Test Your Computer - To test your computer and make sure that you have the Flash Plugin and the appropriate Internet connection speed, go to: https://umconnect.umn.edu/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm. Mac and other/all computers should be compatible and able to view this webinar.
Extension Educators and Specialists were encouraged to participate as a host site and use this webinar as advanced training for Master Gardeners and interested home gardeners. Consider offering additional local information in conjunction with this webinar by asking participants to bring in samples of problems with squash, cucumbers and pumpkins. We will not be able to diagnose individual problems or identify insects as part of the webinar. However, we encourage you as a LOCAL HOST GROUP to offer additional training and hands-on diagnosis along with this webinar. Consider starting your local session 30 minutes prior to the webinar and reviewing the resources below along with samples of squash bugs, cucumber beetles and squash vine borer or powdery mildew damage.
All participants are asked to please complete the brief PRE-TEST questions, which help us gauge the knowledge level of participants and measure learning and the impact of the webinar. Please go here prior to the webinar: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DRF9WKL. The webinar will be recorded and available for a limited time AFTER the live presentation. The link for the recording is:
Introduction Mary Meyer 2 minutes: https://umconnect.umn.edu/p68534514/
Plant Selection, Growing and Management Rhoda Burrows
https://umconnect.umn.edu/p15818242/ 24 minutes
Diseases of Squash, Cucumbers and Pumpkins Michelle Grabowski
https://umconnect.umn.edu/p34281089/ 28 minutes
Insect Pests of Squash, Cucumbers and Pumpkins Celeste Welty
https://umconnect.umn.edu/p80155676/ 25 minutes
Each section includes a presentation followed by questions and answers.
AFTER the webinar, participants are asked to complete a short POST TEST, which will help us measure learning and the impact of the webinar. Go here for the post test:
And finally, an evaluation of the webinar itself is requested and is online here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DNNHNMF.
Materials and Resources for the Cucurbits Webinar:
Selecting Disease Resistant Varieties:
Cornell University: Pumpkins http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/Tables/PumpkinTable.html and Cucumbers http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/Tables/CucSlicersTable.html
Cucurbits Fact Sheets and Bulletins:
Growing Pumpkins and Winter Squash in Minnesota - http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1264.html
Growing Melons - http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1262.html
Growing summer squash and zucchini - http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1258.html
Growing Cucumber - http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1256.html
Diseases on Cucurbits - http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1172.html
Squash Vine borer - http://www1.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/squash-vine-borers/
University of Illinois Squash Bugs: http://ipm.illinois.edu/vegetables/insects/squash_bug/.
University of Wisconsin specific pests:
• Cucumber beetles at http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/cucumber-beetles and http://hort.uwex.edu/sites/default/files/Cucumber%20Beetles.pdf
• Squash bug at http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/squash-bug and http://hort.uwex.edu/sites/default/files/Squash%20Bug.pdf
• Squash vine borer at http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/squash-vine-borer or http://hort.uwex.edu/sites/default/files/Squash%20Vine%20Borer.pdf or http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3756-E.pdf
• Vine Crops Disorder: Anthracnose at http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3279.pdf
• Vine Crops Disorder: Angular Leaf Spot at http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3801.pdf
• Vine Crops Disorder: Bacterial Wilt at http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3272.pdf
• Vine Crops Disorder: Powdery Mildew at http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3805.pdf
• Vine Crops Disease: Phytophthora Blight at http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3834.pdf
• Vine Crops Disorder: Scab at http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3282.pdf
• Growing Pumpkins and other Vine Crops in Wisconsin at http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3688.pdf
Diagnostic Sites: What’s Wrong with my Vegetables?
Harvesting Pumpkins: University of Nebraska video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppg05KKRkEQ&feature=youtu.be
For additional information and any questions contact Mary Meyer firstname.lastname@example.org, 952-443-1447.
Created by Mary Hockenberry Meyer