The “Estate Planning and Military Families” web conference will provide participants with a basic overview of estate planning. Everyone, regardless of age or net worth, needs an estate plan. Estate planning has to do with living, not just with decisions about who inherits property. An estate plan is a pattern, a guide, or a master method for working toward financial security and the family's future welfare. Attendees will learn steps they can take to help them start planning their estate.
This session is part 1 in a 2-part series. Part 2 will focus on more detailed information for military families and will be presented by Dr. Gillen and Mary Benzinger, Senior Attorney with the Pentagon Army and Air Force Legal Assistance Office. Part 2: https://learn.extension.org/events/1191
Presenter: Dr. Gillen joined the University of Florida, Department of Family, Youth and Community Sciences in 2011 as an Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist. She has a BA in Business Administration from Morehead State University and a MBA from Sullivan University. She earned her Doctorate in Family Studies from the University of Kentucky. She also earned a Graduate Certificate in Gerontology and a Graduate Certificate in Applied Statistics from the University of Kentucky.
Dr. Gillen’s research interests include personal and family finance, consumer economics, older adults, Social Security retirement benefits, employment, financial social work, and innovative post-secondary education models. Dr. Gillen teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in the areas of personal and family finance and research methods.
· 1.5 CEUs will be awarded to AFC-credentialed participants.
· 1.5 CEUs will be awarded to CFP-credentialed participants.
· To connect to this webinar, which is hosted by DoD, you must install security certificates if you are not on a military installation. Instructions for can be found: http://blogs.extension.org/militaryfamilies/files/2012/06/DoCCertificate.pdf
· No registration is required.
View the slides here: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/EstatePlanningPPT.pdf
· Supporting resources have been identified to enhance this presentation. Review them here:
- About Estate Planning: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/EstatePlanning.pdf
- Getting Started with Estate Planning: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/EstatePlanningGettingStarted.pdf
- A Glossary of Estate Planning Terms: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/EstatePlanningTerms.pdf
- Estate Planning and Your Will: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/EstatePlanningYourWill.pdf
- Family Records: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/FamilyRecordsPub.pdf
- Preparing a Last Letter of Instruction: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/PreparingaLetterofLastInstruction.pdf
You can view the webinar on the DoD/DCO site Location:
https://connectcol.dco.dod.mil/milfamlearningnetwork which requires security or certificates or on the Ustream channel http://www.ustream.tv/channel/milfamln
* If you were unable to join the live session of this web conference and have viewed this archived session, you may be eligible to receive 1.5 AFCPE CEUs (if AFC credentialed) by taking a short quiz about this sessions content. To do so, please review these instructions: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/campusextensioninstructions.pdf
Created by Molly Herndon