Attorney Mary Benzinger with the Pentagon Army and Air Force Legal Assistance Office will present this detailed session on the nuances of estate planning for military families. This is part 2 in a 2 part session. View Part 1 here: https://learn.extension.org/events/1141
The speaker will provide an overview of State residency for service members and spouses (including a brief overview of the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA). The speakers will give an explanation of probate versus non-probate issues. The speakers will discuss planning for children, including: testamentary trusts (residuary and pre-residuary), UGMA/UTMA, special needs, and guardians of person and property. Other topics to be covered: blended family considerations, Intervivos Trusts (revocable and irrevocable), and Federal and State estate tax issues ($5.25M threshold, “portability” of the exemption, foreign spouse issues, brief overview of credit shelter trusts, QDOTs).
Presenter: Since 2009, Mary M. Benzinger has served as the Senior Attorney for the U.S. Army at the Pentagon Army and Air Force Legal Assistance Office. She is a graduate of Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. and received her Juris Doctor from the Washington College of Law, The American University, Washington, D.C. She has been a Member of the Virginia State Bar since 1987. Before coming to the Army, she was in private practice in Northern Virginia for 19 years with her primary practice being Family Law. Ms. Benzinger is the former President of the Arlington County (Virginia) Bar Association, former Chair of the Virginia State Bar Lawyer Referral Service, currently Vice Chair of the Virginia State Bar Conference of Local Bar Associations and member of the Board of Governors of the Virginia State Bar Military Law Section. Ms. Benzinger is a frequent lecturer on many legal issues of concern to Service members including Family Law, Family Support and Custody, Estate Planning, Service members Civil Relief Act, Landlord/Tenant and the Uniform Services Former Spouse Protection Act and a guest lecturer at The US Army Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School.
• 1.5 CEUs for AFC-credentialed participants
• 1.5 CEUs for CFP-credentialed participants.
• To connect to this webinar, which is hosted by DoD, you must install security certificates if you are not on a military installation. Instructions for can be found: http://blogs.extension.org/militaryfamilies/files/2012/06/DoCCertificate.pdf
• For those who cannot connect to the Adobe site, an alternative viewing of this webinar will be running on Ustream http://www.ustream.tv/channel/milfamln
Also you can connect to the Adobe webinars using the iPhone, iPad, and Droid apps. Search for DCO Connect in the respective stores.
• No registration is required.
• Selected readings have been identified to enhance this presentation. View the list here: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/EstatePlanning2Backgrounder.pdf
• View the presentation slides here: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/ESTATEPLANNING2_0.pdf
• Peace of Mind Plan: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/PEACEOFMINDPLAN_0.pdf
* If you were unable to join the live session of this web conference and have viewed this archived session, you may be eligible to receive 1.5 AFCPE CEUs (if AFC credentialed) by taking a short quiz about this sessions content. To do so, please review these instructions: http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/campusextensioninstructions.pdf
Created by Molly Herndon