Dr. Barbara O'Neill and Air Force Personal Finance Manager Barbara Lang will present this 90-minute webinar on behalf of the Military Families Learning Network. Spring has sprung (finally) across the U.S., which means many people will be buying and selling homes while the weather is good and so their children can be settled in at school for the Fall. This webinar will provide dozens of tips for home buyers and sellers including some strategies that are generally not included in standard references about the home-buying process. The first hour will cover general advice for buying and selling a home and the last 30 minutes will cover information specific for military families. Specific webinar topics include:
- 20 Steps for Successful Home Purchase
- 15 Tips for Successful Home Sale
- Information about the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act
- Buying and selling tips for military home owners
How to Join This Webinar
- To connect by computer to this webinar, which is hosted by DoD, you must install security certificates if you are not on a military installation. Instructions for can be found:http://create.extension.org/sites/default/files/DCODoDCertificateInstallation.pdf .
- For those who cannot connect to the Adobe site by computer, an alternative viewing of this webinar can be viewed via Ustream at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/milfamln
- To connect to the Adobe webinars using the iPhone, iPad, and Droid apps, search for DCO Connect in the respective stores.
- No registration is required. Just prior to the webinar, join by clicking on the link under the "location" heading below.
- 1.5 CEUs will be available for AFC-credentialed participants.
- If you were unable to attend this web conference but would still like to earn the Continuing Education Credits, you may take a short quiz and earn 80% or higher to receive a Certificate of Completion. For more information on this process, click here.
Dr. Barbara O’Neill, financial resource management specialist for Rutgers Cooperative Extension, has been a professor, financial educator, and author for 35 years. She has written over 1,500 consumer newspaper articles and over 125 articles for academic journals, conference proceedings, and other professional publications. She is a certified financial planner (CFP®), chartered retirement planning counselor (CRPC®), accredited financial counselor (AFC), certified housing counselor (CHC), and certified financial educator (CFEd). Dr. O’Neill served as president of the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education and is the author of two trade books,Saving on a Shoestring
and Investing on a Shoestring
, and co-author of Investing For Your Future
, Money Talk: A Financial Guide for Women
, and Small Steps to Health and Wealth.
She earned a Ph.D. in family financial management from Virginia Tech and received over three dozen awards for professional achievements and over $900,000 in funding for financial education programs and research.
Barbara Lang had a successful career in the United States Air Force. During her last 8 years of service, she served as a professional military education instructor where she gained experience in curriculum development and training. Although she retired in 1978, she didn't go far and moved to the civilian side of the Air Force. While there, she soon discovered her passion for personal finances as a Personal Financial Counselor. Her blend of knowledge and experience in training and finances have served the community well since 2000. Barbara earned her CFC designation in 2007 and has also designed and taught webinars for AFCPE. She holds a BS in Workforce Education and works as a freelance photographer in her spare time.